Friday, August 10, 2012

Welcome to Essentials

I'm Ty Salvant, mother of Cy, Shane, Cydney, Seth and Cyrah.  Here's a recap on me, I'm married to Derrick and we have always homeschooled for a variety of reasons.  80% of our children are in Foundations, half of which are in Essentials.  Cyrah spends the day in childcare.  Surprisingly, this is my 5th year in CC (where has the time gone), where I've worn many hats. Like many of you, my initial role was parent.  For the following three years, I directed and now I'm an Essentials Tutor.  Family activities include Institute for Cultural Communicators, Academic Games, 4-H, K-12, piano, ballet and volunteering at an assisted living facility.  Feel free to ask me about any of these. 

For those of you experienced in Essentials, things will look different this year.  Some changes will work wonderfully, while others may fail miserably.  In class, I need you to have a positive attitude and an open mind.  If you didn't like something feel free to call me after or send me an email.  I can let you know if it's something that I want to flush out more or simply flush.  Since most of the children have had Essentials for multiple years, I am looking for a way to recapture their interest.  Most of our time will focus on memory and review work, leaving the teaching to you.  Of course, I'll present new information, but it'll be more of a presentation than explanation. 

FYI, I lead the Metairie Chapter of ICC and we begin at 3:30, which means I will need to pack up and shift gears.  Since I won't be available to answer questions after class, I'll make sure to get back to you by Wednesday afternoon if you write them down or email me.
Initially, we were scheduled to be in room 104, but we've been reassigned to the Fellowship Hall.  Our first activity will begin promptly at 1 pm, please encourage your child to go to the restroom and get water before class begins. 

Here are a few more tools to assist you this year. 

www.excellenceinwriting.com/webinar-archive - Here's a great link for more clarity on a particular unit.

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/IEWfamilies This is a yahoo group for IEW families.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all next week!  Have a great weekend.

Peace and Blessings,
Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment